Although opinions on how to best serve transgender persons differ, both gender critical feminists and gender identity advocates acknowledge the discrimination trans men and women face. Below are some issues that feminist, LGBT and trans advocacy organizations list as areas of concern.
- Increased risk of experiencing violence
- Increased risk of mental illnesses, drug and/or substance abuse
- Discrimination in employment
- Unequal opportunities for housing
- Inequalities in health care
- Discrimination in education
- Exclusion from the military
- Poor representation in the media
More information about trans rights and discrimination may be found at The Human Rights Campaign, The National Center for Transgender Equality, The American Psychological Association, GLAAD, The Transgender Equality Inquiry and many others.