On June 3, 2015, the UK announced a new Women and Equalities Committee to examine the expenditure, administration and policy of the Government Equalities Office.
Their first inquiry? Transgender equality.
The Transgender Equality Inquiry accepts written and oral evidence regarding discrimination against transgender people.
As reported by The Telegraph:
A full list of what the committee will look at regarding trans issues includes:
• The relationship between the Government Equalities Office and other government departments in dealing with transgender equality issues and how the UK’s performance compares internationally
• The operation of the Gender Recognition Act 2004 and whether it requires amending
• The aspect of the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013 which is referred to as the “spousal veto”
• The effectiveness of the Equality Act 2010 in relation to trans people
• Employment and workplace issues (including in the Armed Forces) affecting trans people
• Transphobia (including the portrayal of trans people in the media) and hate crime against trans people
• Issues affecting trans people in the criminal justice system
• Issues concerning the diagnosis of gender dysphoria, including the operation of NHS Gender Identity Clinics
• Access to gender reassignment treatment under the NHS
• Trans people and wider NHS services
• NHS services for trans youth
• Issues concerning trans youth in the education system
• Issues concerning trans youth and social care services (including looked-after children).
Notably absent from the Women and Equalities Committee’s Transgender Equality Inquiry is women and any mention of how transgender anti-discrimination law and policy affects females.
Luckily, many women and women’s groups have submitted data to the inquiry addressing women’s concerns. Submissions to the inquiry and more information on women’s concerns, trans youth, prison transition and general discrimination can be found here: http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/women-and-equalities-committee/inquiries/parliament-2015/transgender-equality/